It is likely that the origins of the current city of Šiauliai were somewhere between all these castles of the defensive line and the detected early settlements. Most likely, Šiauliai was adjacent to or near the trade routes, where the first church was built, neighboured by the market square and the first buildings; thus, in a similar place where currently Šiauliai St. Peter and Paul’s Cathedral and Resurrection Square with the Town Hall stand. Such practice is typical not only to Šiauliai but also to most other European and other cities. The concept ‘axis mundi’ (Latin words meaning ‘the world axis’) describes the centre of the world, in which, in various mythologies or world beliefs and religions, it is possible to find such entities as the world tree, Mount Olympus, the centre of the world, etc. However, according to the world-famous scholar in religious studies Mircea Eliade, people think the same way everywhere, regardless of religion or beliefs. Everyone discovers the centre of his world in which he builds a temple as a place uniting Heaven and Earth, and this is the place where settlements start developing, later turning into cities and states. In the case of Šiauliai, this is the first wooden church, which was later replaced by a brick church, and people continued settling near the temple. It is likely that the development of the city is to be related to the territory that is now considered the city centre.
Thus, in the surroundings of Šiauliai, the retreat of glaciers in the last glacier period and the emergence of better living conditions was followed by the development of settlements, which in the course of history turned into one formation that later became a city.
- History of The Šiauliai City (41)
- Prehistoric Times (4)
- In the 13th Century, the Land of Šiauliai Appears in the World History (3)
- 14th-15th Centuries – a Changeable Period: between the State Defence and Christianity Light (3)
- Formation of Šiauliai Settlement in the 16th Century (1)
- The Beginning of Šiauliai City of the 17th Century (2)
- Šiauliai of the 18th Century in the Vortex of the Great City Reforms (3)
- Šiauliai of the 19th Century and the Beginning of the 20th Century in the Grip of the Russian Empire (7)
- Šiauliai in the Years of the First World War (1)
- Šiauliai in the Years of Freedom (6)
- Šiauliai in the Years of the Second World War (2)
- The Consequences of the Second World War (2)
- Šiauliai in Postwar Period (5)
- Šiauliai at this time (1)